This was asked in the Facebook Group and I figured I would answer here in case others had the same question:
I love Pat Flynn’s website, SmartPassiveIncome.com– I want to be able to do something similar to his side bar… Is this possible with Divi in the sidebar? Screenshot is attached. It’s the “Hi there! I’m Pat Flynn” photo section. If you’d like to see it live in action, here’s a link => https://www.smartpassiveincome.com/successful-online-brand/
We can use our widgets and Divi Page Builder to create a customized sidebar.
What are widgets?
- Widgets in WordPress allow you to add content into widgetized areas of your website.
- In Divi the widgets are used for sidebars and the footer.
- In other themes you may be familiar with, the homepage or header areas are sometimes managed via the widgets.
Where do I find the widgets?
- Dashboard -> Appearance -> Widgets OR
- Dashboard -> Divi -> Theme Customizer -> Widgets
Your site will have default widget’s, which you may use and they will display if you are not using the Divi Page Builder. If you want to add a new special widget, you may create one. Add the name, save, and then refresh your page.
Why do I want to use custom created widgets?
- Because you want specific content to be delivered on different pages.
- Because you want different sidebars for different blog categories on your website.
- Because you want to have different affiliate links / products in sidebars of of your posts.
How do I Add Content to A Widget?
- If you access the widgets from your Dashboard you will see your available widget content in the center of the screen and then your created widgets in the far right hand column.
- You simply drag and drop widget content boxes from the center of the screen into the widget you wish for that content to appear.
- Drag and drop the widget content boxes into the order you wish them to appear.
- An image widget is relatively new, which makes adding a photo super easy.
I have my widget, how do I get in on the right page?
- To put your widgets into your pages / posts you will use the Divi Page Builder.
- Set up your page layout and select modules.
- Select Sidebar.
- Within the Sidebar Module you will be asked which sidebar you wish to include.
So to revisit the original question, can there be an image in the sidebar of the blog page. YES you most certainly may. Simply use the image widget and put it into the sidebar and add the image. If you are using the page builder, create as many different widgets as needed, propagate each one with content, then when building pages, add the desired widget.
NOTE: On mobile devices, the sidebar image will stack below the content (just like reading a book content is delivered left to right, left hand content is presented above what is on the left). If you want the sidebar content to be presented first on mobile, hide the display on mobile and duplicate your section, reverse the order and then hide that section on the desktop view. There is an excellent post on how to Adjust Divi’s Stacking Order on Mobile over on Elegant Themes Blog.