The money is in the list. You know that because I never shut up about it, and neither does anyone else. So how to build your list? Have a whoop A$$ giveaway that is so great someone is happy to fork over their email address to you.
I often have clients ask me, what they should give away (note, if you haven’t yet read Revenue Streams for Your Web Design Business pop over and read, then come back. One way a web designer can help their clients is by setting up an email capture plan (see MailChimp vs MailerLIte
So what to giveaway? This can be a head scratcher. I always begin with looking at a clients Google Analytics. From this you can see their most popular content, then offer something related.
- My interior design client Laurel Bern is a color savant, she offers subscribers a Guide to Getting Paint Colors Right the First Time.
- For a long time on this website we offered a guide to the default fonts in Divi.
- Marie Forleo, business coach gives you an audio guide How To Get Anything You Want.
- My author client Ron Barak is using book promotion programs to give away copies of his book.
The best giveaways include:
- A white paper or guide or product that your audience would actually pay for, but you are giving it for FREE (Laurel Bern)
- Solve a problem or pain point for your reader (a PDF of the default fonts so you didn’t endlessly scroll and test fonts to see what you liked).
- Valuable advice on how to achieve a goal (Marie Forleo).
Your client needs to know their audience and what would entice them to get on their email list. Yes, it could be consistently produced great content, but a little goodie really jump starts the sign ups. Because my goal is to empower you with knowledge and great ideas, I am going to give you 10 suggestions for email giveaways that you can tweak to suit your client’s business.
- Discount codes or free shipping.
- Make it a contest with some awesome prize.
- A template. This could be for anything: schedule social media posts, weekly grocery list, etc.
- eBook on what you are an expert at: how to paint a room, how to do a cartwheel, how to prep your finances for your accountant, etc
- Video demonstration: how to make the perfect pancake or blow dry your hair or to add a transparent layer over a hero image in Divi.
- Cheat Sheet. Shortcodes for Divi, checklist for buying furniture, wedding planner, launch a business.
- Tool Kit. My go to plugins, sources for fonts, etc.
- Books. Best business books, design books, getting started in gardening books.
- Case Study. How you started with 0 and turned that into a million dollar business. . . .
- Weekly giveaway. I subscribe to some blogs because each week I get a free graphic or font or recipe.
I am sure there are more, but this should jump start your imagination. I KNOW that this is easier said than done, but if it were easy then everyone would do it. The pay off is totally worth the pain. Where possible I like to include affiliate links in the giveaway.
Also, make it clear that you aren’t sharing or selling the names with ANYONE ever.
What has worked for you in growing your list or the lists of your clients?